Thursday, October 22, 2009

Agents of Socialization

As we read in the article Agents of Socialization, family was the largest aspect to help shape us as individuals and form our personalities. I can relate to this and corroborate this finding as it has completely applied to my life. My family and the experiences in which I have gone through with my family have caused me to attain certain beliefs and values. For example, my parents divorce taught me the strength I need to have in order to get through the roughest times in life. It taught me that life isn't fair and that as long as I keep my head up and take on the challenges I'm faced with, I will get through it. It taught me independence and responsibility because I needed to do a lot for myself at an early age. There are many more values that I've picked up from my childhood that I will forever carry with me through life. Another example of an agent of socialization that has affected me is the workplace. I'm currently a hostess at Kona Grill and when people ask me if I have a job or what I do on the weekends, I may reply with "I'm a hostess at Kona." The workplace is also a chance for me to meet new people and widen my horizons farther than my family and friends. I have work friends. I've formed close bonds with some of my work friends and I enjoy their presence. Also, I'm a girl with a great work ethic so the fact that I have a job helps to bring out that trait in me.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the idea that all these different influences shape who we are. Experiencing new places and people not only expose us to a different world, but allow us to find who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree. family experiences do shape us and turn us into the people that we are today. my parents always pushed me to be dedicated to everything that i do and that mentality has really been influenced on me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also agree with the above comments. My parents have shaped me into the person i am. The only other agents are my friends. its cool to think about who you are comes from your parents

    ReplyDelete