Wednesday, November 4, 2009

How do we define Masculinity?

As we've been discussing, guys have been shaped to meet the standards of what makes them masculine. I interpret a masculine man as being a big, strong, protective, insensitive human being that works hard and provides for himself. The idea of men needing to meet this standard has led them to prove it through unnecessary actions such as violence. For example, guys often will say to a girl " if he hurts you, I'll kill him" and this is definitely related to the idea that a man believes that by hurting another man they are showing who is more dominant and that feeds their confidence. Also, touching upon the insensitivity aspect, we think of guys as much less emotional than girls. When a guy cries, they're called a big baby or a sissy or something along those lines. Guys tend to hide their emotions because they believe that it will only undermine their masculine identity. For instance, I look at my dad as a real man. He provides for his family, works hard, takes care of all the things men should, he's protective and all that stuff. And his response whenever I play fight with him is " you can't hurt steel" or something toolish like that. Also, I've never seen my dad cry besides for a few instances that were death related. These things tie into the fact that my dad is an example of a man which displays what masculinity means.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that guys have been taught to belive that they need to be strong and insensitive in order to be called a real man. In my opinion, this is not the case. I think that a guy can show emotion and cry whenever he wants, and that won't make him any less of a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would agree with that too maddy but i also think that society shapes all men and a man will be less likely to cry because of his surroundings

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very interesting how we portray men and how they come off to be so tough. My dad does the same thing with trying to "man up". It's really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that men are brought up to "be tough" and not to cry because it will hurt their image. My dad ALWAYS does this with my brother when he whines, he tells him to stop being such a girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with that view of a man too, that society has shaped it. When guys get mad at someone they will ask "could i take him in a fight?" in an act to prove their masculinity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree, society has shaped men to hold back their tears and emotions, the first time i saw my dad cry it honestly shocked me and i viewed him differently from then on because i saw his emotional side.

    ReplyDelete